We Are God’s Handiwork
“For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.” Ephesians 2:10 NIV
After experiencing another miscarriage, God prompted me to reach out to help a mother halfway around the world. My childless arms were filled via sponsorship of a girl in Africa through Compassion International.
At that moment, a passion for these children was born in my grateful heart. Today, I am energized by my role as an Advocate for the organization. It gives my days a higher purpose, while I act out in obedience to God’s word to serve in His Name.
It is not hard to see needs all around us. But it is a challenge to identify where God wants our hearts to focus. My girlfriends and I discussed this difficulty just last week.
To help, I’ve offered some guidelines and scripture below. I pray it will prompt a journey of serving. May you wake up one day to discover you too have found your beautiful purpose!
- Pray for God’s guidance and rest assured that He knows your heart, special strengths and weaknesses. He has promised to guide and support you in serving Him – so be brave and bold as you seek a ministry to get plugged into. Judges 6:14-16
- Think back on your life experiences. As Christians, we know there are no coincidences in this life. God has given you blessings and trials to prepare you for a time such as this. How can you use your life to serve others? Ephesians 2:10
- What gifts are you blessed with? Do you play piano, speak a foreign language, love talking to the elderly, cooking or making gift baskets? Consider the possibilities of using language skills to fill needs in Vacation Bible School, your culinary talent to bless a family in need, playing the piano at a local hospital and more. Deuteronomy 33:6-25
- What is your passion? Do you have a heart for children living in poverty? Has cancer touched your family? Does your soul ache at the sight of the homeless? Perhaps you are excited at the thought of changing a prisoner’s future by introducing them to Christ? Galatians 6:2
- Commit to reaching out in faith through one service project a month. Take a basket of holiday décor and goodies to a local children’s hospital. Play piano and visit with lonely elderly in a nursing home, provide a meal for a family in your community, or volunteer an hour of administrative time at a local Christian radio station. Matthews 23:11-12
Pray for guidance, then take an inventory of your strengths, gifts and interests.
Reach out to serve at least once a month. If you have difficulty identifying opportunities please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org. I have additional ideas and would love to help you get started! God will direct you to His unique purpose for your life and the blessing will be yours, my friend!
“With this in mind, we constantly pray for you, that our God may make you worthy of his calling, and that by his power he may bring to fruition your every desire for goodness and your every deed prompted by faith. We pray this so that the name of our Lord Jesus may be glorified in you, and you in him, according to the grace of our God and the Lord Jesus Christ.” 2 Thessalonians 1:11-12 NIV
“The Lord turned to him and said, “Go in the strength you have and save Israel out of Midian’s hand. Am I not sending you?” “Pardon me, my lord,” Gideon replied, “but how can I save Israel? My clan is the weakest in Manasseh, and I am the least in my family.” The Lord answered, “I will be with you, and you will strike down all the Midianites, leaving none alive.” ”Judges 6:14-16 NIV
“The greatest among you will be your servant. For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.” Matthew 23:11-12 NIV
“Carry each other’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ.” Galatians 6:2 NIV
God, we know that our lives as Christians have been blessed beyond measure. Guide us as we seek Your will and purpose in our lives to serve in Jesus’ name. Let our efforts turn others toward Your glory and salvation. In Jesus’ Name We Pray, Amen.
© 2017 by Michelle Axton Kelly. All rights reserved.
Is God speaking to you through today's devotion? We'd love for you to share how this message has encouraged you to continue pursuing the God of hope. Scroll to the bottom of this page and leave a reply.
Do you know Jesus Christ as your personal Savior? Pull up a chair… He’s been waiting for you.
The conversation at the Café is always hot and fresh. We invite you to listen in as we gather around the table to discuss everyday life.
Comfort food for your soul is always on our menu, and friends are always close enough to hug. We invite you to join us daily, as our writer’s share how the Lord continues to transform them into His glorious image.
Still craving more… Join us as we grow together in grace and truth through our online bible study.